Coconut cream is one of the easiest (and healthiest) dessert or snack toppings you can make. When you hear coconut cream, it essentially is the solid version of coconut milk
When making this, aim for a regular, or full-fat coconut milk. Do not use a low-fat version or coconut cream. I recommend getting a can that has 60% or more coconut in the ingredient listing. Avoid coconut milk that has preservatives.
For sweet desserts I recommend adding vanilla and maple syrup to your liking. If not, the cream works perfect as is especially on top of fresh fruit.
How to Make Coconut Cream
1. Place a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
2. Remove the lid and DO NOT shake the can.
3. With a spoon, scrape out the thick portion that is on top. Once you get low enough you'll notice the coconut water in the bottom of the can. You can use the coconut water for a smoothie or anything you'd like.
4. Mix or blend the coconut with a spoon or egg beater (food processor can work but I recommend the other two options first) until its a creamy-like substance.
5. Add in maple syrup and vanilla to your liking and mix until blended.
6. Serve immediately or keep in a jar. The cream is best eating within 7 days.
Elizabeth Rae Kovar M.A. is Author of her memoir, Finding Om and is a Fitness Trainer, Yogi, Reiki Master, Presenter and Lover of Life. To view her portfolio please visit www.elizabethkovar.com